Any time your business changes locations, you risk losing loyal customers, but making sure all your business information is updated on Google and Yelp goes a long way toward maintaining the business you‘ve built. Here‘s a simple, step-by-step guide :
Changing your address on Google
Many small business owners make the mistake of creating new business profiles each time they move the location of their business, but that‘s not advisable. Having lots of outdated business address listings online makes it harder for clients to find you and lends an image of impermanence and instability to your brand. Instead, you can change your existing business address as well as the phone number and hours of operation.
- Sign in to Google My Business. From the main menu, you should be able to view all your business locations.
- Select the location that‘s moving and click Manage Location.
- Click Info at the top of the page. The Info menu should let you edit (by clicking the pencil icon) anything from the address of your business to the hours.
- Click Apply. You should be able to see the marker for your business on a map. If Google is unable to find the correct location for your business, you can drag the pin manually and drop it.
- Click OK. It may take some time for your edits to be published.
Changing your address on Yelp
Many small business owners struggle to change their addresses on Yelp, and there‘s a good reason for that. Changing primary business information on Yelp is confusing and unintuitive, and the instructions are not very clear. Here‘s what you need to know.
Yelp maintains control over certain types of changes on their site, including most address changes. They consider some, but not all, of these requests as “substantial business changes.“
Here‘s how that works. Yelp says a business location change that, “dramatically changes the nature and customer experience of that business“ counts as a “substantial business change.”
So, when your address changes:
- Go to Yelp.com and select your business.
- Click Edit, and when asked if you‘re the business owner, click Yes
- Check the box for Business Closed Or Moved.
- In the Additional Context field, explain as clearly as you can why your business is moving and how it will impact the customer experience. If you fail to include enough detail, it will only slow the approval process.
- Click Submit Changes.
Once you‘ve submitted your changes, Yelp determines whether they will allow you to simply change your business address, or require you to create a new business page and add a banner to the original business address page explaining the move.
Changing the address of your business online takes time, and there‘s not much you can do to speed the approval process. If you‘re planning to change business locations, the best thing you can do is let your customers know about the upcoming move before it happens. Many small businesses opt for change of address postcards and send out mailings a few weeks before the move takes place, which we recommend.